Kristy Mara, formerly Kristy Rodd, creates customized solutions for her clients. She openly communicates with clients throughout the case so the end result is the best possible outcome.
Whether a business-person, a professional or a stay-at-home parent, experiencing any legal process in one’s personal life is unnerving. Kristy gets to know each client as an individual and tailors the communications and case strategy to meet his or her needs and goals. Although she is an experienced litigator, she is equally comfortable creating settlement solutions for her clients. She uses her analytical skills to master the facts and finances for an ideal position for her clients at settlement or trial.
Kristy provides an honest assessment of how the process will work for her clients. When strategizing with a client, Kristy analyzes and quantifies all aspects of the case balancing the costs and benefits. She breaks down complex matters into basic dollars and cents for her clients and uses her expertise to guide them in their decision on whether to settle matters or to take them to trial.
Kristy focuses her practice on complex litigation including: valuation of closely-held businesses and corporations, allocation of retirement plans and benefits, analysis of executive compensation, personal and corporate taxation issues, property division, maintenance and alimony, and child custody and support.
Admission Dates & Jurisdictions
- Minnesota, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1998
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1997, magna cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-River Falls, B.A., 1992, with honors
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2014-present
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Top 50 Women, 2015 – present
- Board Certified Family Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Fellowship, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Minnesota Chapter
- Chair, Fredrikson & Byron Family Law Group, 2009-2017
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Co-Presenter, Drafting Prenuptial Agreements, Minnesota Family Law Institute, April 2016
- Presenter, “Family Law Series: The Impact of Immigration on Family Law Matters,” Minnesota CLE, November 2013
- Co-Presenter, “Effective Use of Financial Experts,” AAML Divorce Camp CLE, September 2013
- Co-Presenter, “Divorce Law for Estate Planners,” Hennepin County Bar Association CLE, February 2012
- “Employer Withholding of Child Support in Minnesota,” co-authored with Judy Engel, FredNEWS: Employment & Labor, December 2010
- “Real Estate Transfers After A Divorce,” co-authored with Lisa Lindenfelser, Fredrikson & Byron Family Law Focus Newsletter, March 2005