Chris is a native San Franciscan and graduated from U.C. Berkeley and Santa Clara University Law School before starting his private law practice. While in law school Chris realized that he had a passion and talent for battling the police and prosecutors in criminal cases. This is the reason why he only handles criminal cases. Throughout his years as a criminal defense attorney Mr. Morales has been interviewed numerous times on television while defending high-profile clients and was an expert commentator for Fox News on the Scott Peterson murder trial. He also has been quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle as well as the San Jose Mercury News and other newspapers.
Admission Dates & Jurisdictions
Mr. Morales was admitted to the State Bar of California on June 13, 1991. He defends clients against all Federal and State charges, both felonies and misdemeanors, including: Murder, Drug Crimes, Drunk Driving, Theft Crimes, Assault & Battery, Sex Crimes, Juvenile Crimes, Three Strikes, White Collar Crimes, Mail Fraud, Securities Fraud, Rico, Anti Trust Cases, Tax Crimes, Money Laundering, Bankruptcy Crimes, Environmental Crimes, Copyright/Trademark Violations and Forfeiture.
Chris graduated from U.C. Berkeley and Santa Clara Law School before starting his private practice.
Throughout his years as a criminal defense attorney Mr. Morales has been interviewed numerous times on television while defending high-profile clients and was an expert commentator for Fox News on the Scott Peterson murder trial. He also has been quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle as well as the San Jose Mercury News and other newspapers.
High Profile Cases:
- Bilitnikoff Murder Case: The daughter of Hall of Fame football player Fred Bilitnikoff was killed by her boyfriend.
- 22nd Bryant Street Gang-Rape Case: Largest rape case in San Francisco history, seven members of a gang were accused of raping two girls.
- Fernando Murillo Attempted Murder Case: This juvenile was featured on America’s Most Wanted; he escaped from a juvenile detention center and went on a three-month shooting and car jacking crime spree.
Honors & Awards
- Best Attorney of America 2015 – Rue Ratings
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer 2015 – The National Trial Lawyers
- Northern California Super Lawyer 2012- 2015
- Certified Specialist in Criminal Law – State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization 2013 – Present
- Attorney Search Network – Triple A Rating
- Avvo rating is Superb
- A+ rating Better Business Bureau.
- National Boxing Champion 1984
- San Mateo Private Defender Program
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- San Mateo County Bar Association
- California Public Defenders Association
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- La Raza Lawyers Association
- What to do When a Friend Gets Arrested
Made in California, KIQI Radio 2009
- Gender Bias in the Courtroom
Preventing Gender Bias in the Courtroom, San Mateo County Bar Association 2008
- Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions
Preventing Immigration consequences of criminal convictions, San Mateo County Bar Association 2008
- What You Need to Know about Identity Theft
Your Legal Rights KALW, Public Radio 2008
- Starting Your Own Law Practice
Lawyers Club of San Francisco 2006
- Starting Your Own Law Practice
Barristers Club of San Francisco 2006
- Expert Commentary on Scott Peterson murder trial, Amber Fry testimony
Fox News 2004
- Expert Commentary on Scott Peterson murder trial, analysis of the prosecution case
Fox News 2004
- 8 Ways to Cleanup Your Criminal Record – Lecture
- Criminal Law – Your Legal Rights – Lecture
- What to do when a Friend gets Arrested – KIQI Radio
- What you need to know about Identity Theft – Your Legal Rights KALW, Public Radio
- Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions – San Mateo County Bar Association
- Gender Bias in the Courtroom – Lawyers Club of San Francisco
- Expert Commentary on Scott Peterson Murder Case – Analysis of the
- Expert Commentary on Scott Peterson Murder Trial – Amber Fry Testimony
- Limiting the Definition of “Insider Trading” – July 23, 2014
- The Top Ten Celebrity Crimes of 2009
- 11 Mistakes to Avoid at the Beginning of Your Criminal Case – 2012
- Does Self-Representation in a Criminal Case Ever Make Sense? – April 3, 2012
- Common Defenses in Criminal Cases – March 3, 2012
- 8 Ways to Cleanup Your Criminal Record – February 5, 2012
- The Basics of Insider Trading – February 3, 2012
- Common DUI and DWI Defenses – February 2, 2012
- Search and Seizure Frequently Asked Questions – February 1, 2012
- Criminal Procedure Frequently Asked Questions: January 2, 2012
- Sentencing Frequently Asked Questions – January 3, 2012
- Criminal Anti Trust Cases – November 4, 2011
- Member of the Board of Directors, Huckleberry Youth Programs, this organization provides services to homeless youth in San Francisco and Marin.
- Member of the Board of Directors, San Mateo County Bar Association. 2006-2009.
- Chairman, Private Defender Committee, San Mateo Private Defender Panel in 2005.
- Arbitrator for the Attorney-Client Fee Dispute Committees for the Bar Association of San Mateo County and the State Bar of California.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the San Francisco Lawyers Club, 2003-2005.
- Member of the San Francisco Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council, appointed by San Francisco Board of Supervisor President, Matt Gonzalez in March 2003. He was the representative of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors on this committee.
- Vice-President of the Board of Directors of the San Francisco Hispanic Chamber of Commerce 2001-2002.
- Member of State Bar of California, Conference of Delegates, Executive Resolutions Committee 2001, appointed by the Board of Governors, State Bar of California.
- President of the Board of Directors 1998-1999 of La Raza Centro Legal, a non-profit law firm that represents low-income, Spanish-speaking clients in San Mateo and San Francisco Counties.
- Founding member of the La Raza Lawyers Association of San Mateo County, President 1995-1996
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Barristers Club of the Bar Association of San Francisco 1994-1995.
- Member of the Bar Association of San Francisco resolutions committee in 1994 and 1995, author of a resolution that passed without debate at the Conference of Delegates.