Licensed since 1994, Dorothy Easley has established her appellate practice as a top-rated and award-winning premiere all-Board-Certified appellate law firm. Dorothy is “AV Preeminent” rated (the highest possible for legal ability and ethics) by Martindale-Hubbell, whose ratings cover both legal skills and attorney ethics. Dorothy has been recognized with multiple additional accolades, including being selected in the Register of Preeminent Lawyers in the United States. The Florida Bar has certified Dorothy Easley since 2003 as an “appellate expert” and “appellate specialist”, with fewer than 200 certified as such and able to claim that select designation. The Florida Bar also recognized Dorothy in 2009 for Excellence in the Promotion of Board Certification. When it comes to federal appeals, Dorothy is a nationally recognized author who literally wrote the book: Successful Federal Appeals in All Circuit Courts: A Practical Guide for Busy Lawyers. Dorothy appreciates the value of hard work, perseverance and tenacity. She grew up on a farm, learned to drive a tractor, and worked on a forestry logging crew for room and board as an undergraduate in the mountains of North Carolina. Dorothy has a Master of Science, summa cum laude, in forest genetics from New York, and a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in law from Miami. Her diverse professional experience–as a published research scientist in Latin America, as a university law professor, as a board certified appellate specialist, and as a former “biglaw” partner–has positioned her as a recognized leader in the appellate community.
Admission Dates & Jurisdictions
Admitted to The Florida Bar in 1994.
Also admitted to:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Florida Supreme Court
- All Florida District Courts of Appeal, Statewide
- All U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals, Nationwide (1st Circuit through 11th Circuit)
J.D. Law, cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida.
M.S. Forest Genetics, summa cum laude, SUNY/ESF Syracuse, New York.
B.A. Warren Wilson College, with honors, Asheville, North Carolina.
Honors & Awards
- One of the “10 Best” Family Law Attorneys for Florida by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Florida Bar 2009 Award fpr Excellence in the Promotion of Board Certification
- Ranked Top 100 Lawyers, South Florida, in Super Lawyer Magazine 2010.
- Ranked Top 50 Women Lawyers in Super Lawyer Magazine 2009, 2010.
- Florida Super Lawyer (top 5 percent of Florida lawyers), Super Lawyer Magazine, annually since 2006
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Appellate Law.
- Legal Elite (top 1.9 percent of all Florida Lawyers), Trend Magazine
- Top Appellate Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide
- ALM Recognition of Easley in Top Women Leaders in the Law, featured in Fortune Magazine, 2014 and again in 2015
- ALM Recognition of EAP Among South Florida’s Top Lawyers, Legal Leaders in Appellate, Business/Commercial Law
- Executive Editor & Staff Member, Univ. Miami School of Law Inter-American Law Review, 1992-94.
- Lillian R. Levy Award for Excellence, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review. 1993-94.
- American Jurisprudence Award, top award for excellence in the study of Contract Law, Fall, 1991.
- Highest Mark, top award for excellence in the study of European Market Law, Fall, 1992.
- Research Fellow, C. Eugene Farnsworth Memorial Fellowship, SUNY/CESF.
- Research Fellow, Edna Bailey Sussman National Fellowship.
- President, Rosemary Barkett Appellate Inn of Court, 2015-Present.
- Appellate Practice Certification Committee, 2012-15.
- Immediate Past President, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2015-16.
- President, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2014-15.
- Officer, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2010-15.
- Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section 20th Anniversary Committee, 2012-13.
- Immediate Past Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section (“APS”), 2010-11.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2009-10.
- Chair Elect, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2008-09.
- Vice Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2007-08.
- Delegate, Appellate Practice Section, Florida Bar Council of Sections, since 2007.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section Special Subcomm on Appellate Board Recertification Standards, 2006-07.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section Legislation and Public Education Committee. 2011-12.
- Treasurer, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society. 2011-12.
- Membership Director, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society. 2010-11.
- Vice Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Court Rules Committee (“ACRC”), 2008-09.
- Chair, ACRC, General Practice Subcomm, 2008-09.
- Chair, ACRC Orientations Subcomm, 2006-07.
- Member, ACRC E-filing Subcomm, 2005-09.
- Member, ACRC Rules Criminal Law Subcomm, 2007-08.
- Member, ACRC Civil Rules Subcomm, 2005-08.
- Member, ACRC Records on Appeal Subcomm, 2004-09.
- Chair, APS Pro Se Appellate Handbook Committee, 2005-09.
- Editor-in-Chief, The Record, Florida Journal of the Appellate Practice Section, 2004-05.
- Elected Member, APS Executive Council, 2003-05.
- Member, Florida Defense Lawyers Amicus Committee, 2005-09.
- Member, Editorial Board,Trial Advocate Quarterly, 2005-09.