Resident of Orange County for over 57 years. He has lived in Garden Grove, Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach, and now resides in Santa Ana’s Floral Park.
Admission Dates & Jurisdictions
Admitted to the California State Bar in 1969, and is eligible to practice in all districts and appellate courts in California.
- Garden Grove High School – Garden Grove, CA
- University of Southern California – Los Angeles, CA
- Graduated 1965 Magna Cum Laude / Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Receiver of “USC Alumni Scholarship”
- University of Southern California / Law School – Los Angeles, CA
- Graduated 1968
- Awarded the Warner Trust Grant
- Was a “Bauer Fellow”
- Receiver of “Legion Lex” Scholarship
In 1977, Mr. Barbaro was one of the founding partners of Horton, Barbaro & Reilly and practiced as a partner until its dissolution in 2005. Mr. Barbaro has practiced in all areas of civil litigation, including but not limited to: Personal injury (both plaintiff and defense), auto, plane, train accidents, products liability, highway design, medical and dental malpractice, elder abuse, wrongful death, civil rights, premises liability, business litigation and negotiations with governmental entities.
In 2005, Horton, Barbaro & Reilly dissolved with the retirement of Mr. Jay Horton. Mr. Barbaro then formed the firm of Frank P. Barbaro & Associates where he continued to practice in the area of medical malpractice and personal injury.
Mr. Barbaro has tried in excess of 100 jury cases and has more than 25 verdicts/settlements in excess of 7 figures.
Mr. Barbaro served as co-lead counsel in the Charles Keating/Lincoln Savings case.
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- ABOTA Member
- Rated AV
- Preeminent for 20 years by Martindale-Hubbell
- National Italian American Bar Association
Verdicts & Settlements
- Medical Malpractice Birth Injury; confidential settlement: $1,750,000.00
- Trip and fall in parking lot; Confidential Settlement: $250,000.00
- Auto Accident Arbitration Award: $400,000.00
- Confidential Medical Malpractice Settlement: $4,000,000.00
- Padilla vs. Platt; Medical Malpractice Cardiac Ablation: $250,000.00
- Thomas vs. F.R. Stewart Trust; Fall from Roof: $1,297,875.00
- Berus vs. Adams; jury verdict; Failure to Diagnose: $265,000.00
- Maclyman vs. Firestone Dental Group; jury verdict; Dental Malpractice: $344,838.00
- Ehtemam vs. Kaiser Permanente; Birth Injury: $3,200,000.00
- Pate vs. James Lee, DDS; Walnut Dental Office; Dental Malpractice: $117,000.00
- Confidential Settlement with major retailer and chair manufacturer for product defect: $720,000.00
- Galardi vs. Rufino; closed head injury in auto accident: $1,879,020.00
In Soule vs. General Motors Corporation, Mr. Barbaro won a $1.65 million jury verdict for his client Terri Soule in a complex automobile defect case against General Motors Corporation.
General Motors Corporation was unwilling to concede defeat after the 12-0 jury verdict. Armed with unlimited resources, General Motors Corporation appealed the case all the way to the California Supreme Court.
After Mr. Barbaro argued for Ms. Soule before the Supreme Court Justices, the Court found in favor of Ms. Soule. This ruling created a landmark decision concerning the application of the consumer-expectation test in the area of products liability. To this day, this case is taught in every law school in the country.