Matthew Bretz is a Kansas native. As a youth he earned the rank of Eagle Scout, then at the age of 20 received a B.S. from Kansas State University where he also taught classical and contemporary physics. He graduated from Pepperdine School of Law where he received the Dalsimer Moot Court Award from U.S. Solicitor General Kenneth Starr.
After graduation, he practiced with the Los Angeles firm of “Erin Brockovich”, “Delta Force II” and “The Twilight Zone” fame, Engstrom Lipscomb & Lack, litigating aviation and catastrophic injury cases.
After returning to Kansas, Mr. Bretz was a litigation partner with Gilliland & Hayes until starting Bretz Law Offices in 1997. The firm name was changed to Bretz & Young in 2013 when Melinda Young joined as a partner. Mr. Bretz handles all types of injury claims, including motor vehicle, product liability, nursing home, malpractice, and premises liability cases. He has been recognized by CNN and by local and state news media for trial and settlement results in numerous cases.
Mr. Bretz is licensed in Kansas and California, and by the United States District Courts in Kansas, California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Illinois, Missouri, and Nebraska, and by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. He formerly was the Medical Legal Editor for the Journal of the Kansas Trial Lawyer’s Association. He is a member of the Board of Governors for the KAS, and formerly was the Medical Legal Editor for the Journal of the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Bretz serves on the Board of Directors for United Way, the Training and Evaluation Center of Hutchinson (TECH), the Board of Governors for the Kansas Association for Justice (KSAJ), and is a former board member for The American Red Cross, Interfaith Housing, Big Brothers, and Sunday school teacher.
- Auto, Truck & Motorcycle Wrecks
- Wrongful Death
- Industrial & Construction Injuries
- Victims of Drunk Drivers
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Medical Malpractice
- Workers Compensation
Admission Dates & Jurisdictions
- State of Kansas
- State of California
- US District Court of California
- US District Court of Colorado
- US District Court of Illinois
- US District Court of Kansas
- US District Court of Missouri
- US District Court of Nebraska
- US District Court of Oklahoma
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Pepperdine University School of Law – Juris Doctor, 1991
Kansas State University – Bachelor of Science, 1988
Honors & Awards
- Lawyer of the Year, Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – Best Lawyers
- “Best Law Firm” – U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale-Hubbell
- 10.0 Superb Rating – AVVO
- Top 100 Trial Attorneys – National Trial Lawyers Association
- Best Lawyer, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiff – Best Lawyers
- Super Lawyer – Super Lawyers
- Reader’s Choice Award – Hutchinson News